Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What the...?!

Misogyny is everywhere--I get that. Never mind that we are in 2009 and are an evolved society. But seriously, did girl-bashing have to invade the candy aisle?



I spotted this gem in the British(-inspired) foods end cap at my local HEB. There are several things about this candy bar that bother me.

1. The image of the female is not only wearing a short skirt, but carrying a tiny purse, as well. Talk about a stereotype. If said image corresponds to the slogan, "It's not for girls!" then can a grown woman with kiddos and a stretchier body enjoy this candy? Really, almost every mom I know carries a bag so big that it should probably have its own wheels. Plus, some of us who've had multiple pregnancies still have a body that has no business wearing anything that short. I'm just sayin'. Also, the girl could at least have hair on her head.

2. Yes, this may be some sort of reverse psychology--I mean, who markets chocolate to men and not women?--but assuming that it's not, the nutritional facts are located in the usual place, with the calorie count (over 350[!] for all 5 pieces) in big numbers right next to the slogan. Unfortunately, I channeled my inner male when I bought this. In other words, I ate a piece (or two, or three...) before I read the label. Whatever.

3. For all intents and purposes, it's tasty. Yeah, I said it.

4. I bought misogynistic candy. Effing hormones.

2 comments:

junior_goddess said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkie_(chocolate_bar)

Hm.

You shoulda bought Cadbury Flake, for consistency and all.

Courtney said...

That's it. I need to find one of those and try it. What else is in it besides chocolate?